5.26.2009

The BKteN Number 7

Hello everyone. Sorry this is somewhat late coming, but we went out of town last week, so I didn't get a chance to write it. So, I'll stop wasting time and get into it.

A QUICK NOTE: I definitely started working on this last week, and just kind of put it off. So, here we go. Enjoy!

1. BATMAN BEGINS - To make up for the complete atrocity that was me forgetting to put this movie in my Summer Blockbuster Special, I am throwing it in this week first. This movie was completely awesome, and it is responsible for my starting to read comics. Now, I will say that I enjoyed comic movies before this came out, but this made me actually want to read comics. Plus I remember that I was excited for this while everyone else was groaning that they were making "another Batman movie." After BATMAN AND ROBIN, who wouldn't have felt that way? Oh yeah: Me! I found an early draft of the script over a year before the movie came out, read it, and knew that if it was in fact the movie they were making (which it was) that it would be an exceptional film. Without this movie, we wouldn't have had THE DARK KNIGHT, and we all know how much less complete my life would be without that movie. In regards to this particular Batman franchise, I throw out the quote to the defining song of our entire generation (if not millennium): "My life would suck without you."

2. STAR TREK - I haven't seen but one episode of the original series, and only one of the films ("Space Seed" and its story sequel THE WRATH OF KHAN). I am talking about JJ Abrams' tour de force summer opening movie. Seriously this movie kicks so much ass. I can easily say that it is my favorite movie to come out so far this year. I had a perfect blend of action and comedy, that didn't really fall into the dramcom category. The casting was perfect. The writing was stellar. Also, I could tell when they were throwing out references to the series past, yet it was still entertaining to me. This is just an all around good flick. If you haven't seen it by now, WTF is wrong with you?

3. LOST - I had planned to write this list up shortly after the season finale, but procrastination got the better of me, so I am writing it now. I really don't know that there is anything I can say to sway anyone for or against this show. If you are going to watch it, you know you will, and if you are going to avoid watching it, I won't change anything. I just love it. The show is phenomenal and has only 17 hours worth of shows left. Let's hope that they truly can give it a send off worthy of kings, or something like that.

4. THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN AMERICA - Running from issues 25 through 42, this story line took a classic character (Steve Rogers) and the dream he representd (Captain America), and completely revitalized it. Ed Brubaker had been preparing for this since he started writing for the series at issue 1 of the current volume. This development has been touted by some as a means to increase sales, but the stgory moved along such a logical progression of story, and really brought the MARVEL Universe into the state that it is in now. Also, the moment when the new Captain America takes up the mantle means so much more, and resonnates more than the mantle-taking of the new Batman at the end of BATTLE FOR THE COWL (I read the last few pages, and it was alright, but not as good as this.)

5. INCOGNITO - Continuing my Ed Brubaker love fest is this miniseries Brubaker is making through MARVEL's creater owned imprint ICON. The story centers on a supervillain who is placed in witness protection, and has his powers dampened, after his brother was murdered by the men he once worked with. In the story, the "protagonist" decides to become a superhero just cause he's bored, and it gives him something to do. He feels alive, after finding a way to bypass the power dampening drugs. It's good, violent, sexy stuff. Brubaker knows his crime drama.

6. DAREDEVIL: THE KING OF HELL'S KITCHEN - Writer Brian Michael Bendis turns Daredevil into the new Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen, with Matt Murdock hoping that he can eliminate the crime in his home by lording over it. After some nearly successful assassination attempts by the Yakuza, Murdock sees his mistake and brings in some of his superhero friends to help correct the mistake. But the very nature of Murdock's intentions come into question, creating a new creative direction for this unconventional superhero story.

7. THE BIG BANG THEORY - This is a comdy for nerds, and obviously by nerds. And I love it. It isn't condescending to the culture, either, in the way that HEROES has been for its last 2 seasons. I have seen a good bit of season 1, and I really dig it. Plus Kaley Cuoko is a freaking babe. It is good to see a show that has a dorky guy like me having the chance to get with a super hottie like her. And they know their Nerdology. So, yeah. Give it a chance. I had low expectations for it, but TK brought one of the previous episodes to my attention, and like HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, this is a traditional sitcom that showcases the style's strengths, and lets us see that maybe this style of storytelling doesn't need to be taken out behind the chemical shed after we shotgun a few PBR's and work up the balls to get rid of it.

8. DR. PEPPER CHERRY - This is just a smooth, tasty new spin on an old favorite. I enjoy it much. Just go buy a 12 pack. You're welcome.

9. CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR - Fighting as both Russians against the Germans and Americans against the Japanese, 2 different stories from World War II are told. The game is intense and fun. It is also awesome to see blood fly in the air when you shoot people. The game is good fun, though fristrating at times, and could be used as a great stress killer. It's fun, and I enjoy WWII stories. Bad ass.

10. WILL FERRELL HOSTING THE SNL SEASON FINALE - This episode of SNL was totally awesome. I was laughing the whole time. The new Celebrity Jeopardy was as good as the classics, if not better. The Lawrence Welk Show sketch was a riot. And then there was the outrageous scene that was Ferrell essentially skipping out on a bill by recounting when he was in Nam. And he used a massive band to help show it. It's something that is just kind of weird when you see it at first, but thinking back it is pretty stellar.

So, there you go. I will certainly have another one of these up within the next week. Hope summer is going well for you all.


Here endeth the lesson.

No comments: