6.18.2009

I've Got Issues Episode 1

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been some time since my last post. Summer Staff has really been consuming all my time. So, this is a new feature I am going to be doing on the blog, which I hope you will all come to know and love. BKteN is still going to be around, so don't worry aobut that one, but I have been wanting to do for a little while now. Before I launch into it, here is a basic rundown:

Every week I go to the comic book store and drop some money in exchange for entertainment. This happens on Wednesdays, since that's the new comic release day. I will usually have the week's pull read by the end of Wednesday. Every week, on here, I am going to post my 3 favorite issues (in no particular order), and then a little bit about why I liked them and what they are. So, let's get into it!

1. CAPTAIN AMERICA #600 - So, this issue was a big special deal for Marvel. They are in their 70th anniversary, and several of their long running major series are releasing their 600th overall issue. For almost all of these the series will be reverting to its original numbering. Basically, the current run of CAPTAIN AMERICA has gone 51 issues now, but since the series began there has been 600 issues. Anyway, the issue was 100 pagesish long and has some cool ancillary stories, as well as a reprint of an old CAP issue. The overall theme to the series is remembering Steve Rogers (the original Captain America) on the one year anniversary of his assassination. The main story, written by Ed Brubaker sets up where the series is heading (including the return of Steve Rogers). It was just a solid issue, and I very much enjoyed it.

2. BATMAN AND ROBIN #1 - A few months ago DC had a BATMAN storyline that ended with Bruce Wayne dead (well, actually sent into the prehistoric past) and Gotham City was without someone to don the mantle of Batman. Between then and now there was a massive fight over who would be the next Batman, which ended with Dick Grayson (the first Robin) taking it up. This series introduces the new dynamic duo of Dick Grayson as Batman, and Bruce Wayne's son Damien as Robin. This issue was a number 1, so it is all about setting up the story and introducing the new team. Also it ends with an incredibly creepy introduction of a new villain that looks like he could give the Joker a run for his money in creepiness. I will definitely be picking up the next issue.

3. INCOGNITO #4 - Ed Brubaker once again makes the list with his very interesting crime drama/superhero-esque tale. The series is about a supervillain who is placed in witness protection, and gets so bored with his life that he becomes a superhero. He doesn't care about people. He just wants something exciting to do. The series is only limited, and is written solidly. This is definitely a series that I get excited waiting for the upcoming issue, and this one definitely set the stage for some interesting things in the future. One thing that is cool about this series is that the superheroes that already exist in this world are assholes just like the villains, so it is hard to root for either. The story is just compelling and really well paced, so it makes for a tight read.

So, there's my first episode of I'VE GOT ISSUES. I hope you enjoyed it. I will see you soon with another BKteN, as well as some other weekly postings I will be rolling out in the coming weeks.


Here endeth the lesson.

1 comment:

Drew Blumberg said...

Word. I like the name of the blog. Clever. I'd like to read more of Incognito, it was very good. Hope all the Belmont stuff is going well.